Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 81
  1. #31
    Executive Member Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6,038
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Paul Vanes has asked me to post this for him:-

    "According to the superb book "50 years of Progress - The History of the Automotive Products Organisation over the past 50 years" by T.H. Wisdom M.I.M.I., A.M.S.A.E. in collaboration with N.E. Riddihough the Lockheed Hydraulic Brake Co. Ltd. was formed by the purchase of the Zephyr Carburettor Company and its Clemens Street works in 1928 and manfacturing began with a total staff of 25 making brakes for Wolseley cars who had recently been taken over by Morris.

    By 1931 there was the introduction of the first efficient dry plate Borg & Beck clutch to Britain. Plans had been drawn up and submitted for a new factory out in the country side - thats my joke re the NWG in Harbury Lane - of Tachbrook Road and building soon commenced.

    This is now my research talking - In 1932, the Company opened Lockheed Sports and Social club with a cricket team being the first to operate then in 1933, two football teams were formed under the name Lockheed Sports and they entered the Warwick and District Football League for 1933/34 but before that season ended, the name in the newspapers was Lockheed, Borg & Beck. Not satisfied with the strength of the opposition the first team moved to the Coventry Works League, division two. The late lamented journalist Roger Draper always said Lockheed (in any guise) was formed in 1933 as the above proves."
    Leamington FC Supporters Trust, forward together

    http://www.brakestrust.com/


  2. #32
    Junior Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Milverton, Leamington
    Posts
    319
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Very interesting contributions. The town's football history has been complicated. The original club was Leamington Rovers which was playing at Leam Terrace in 1878.

  3. #33
    Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    As a local historian I became interested in this subject in relation to the shirt from Leamington Town that was owned by the club? I did a minute piece of research via our own library and in Coventry and it was very quick to establish that Leamington Town ceased trading in 1937. It's a simple case of elimination. There is no link to Leamington Town other than the fact that Borg and Beck played on the same pitch some nine years later. To suggest that this surmounts to a tangible link between the clubs borders on ludicrous. May I also take this opportunity to speak to whoever run the history web page and explain why it states that Leamington FC's history began in 1871. This would make Leamington FC one of the oldest clubs in the world. Is this for real?

  4. #34
    Super Moderator Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranBig DonatorTagger Second ClassCreated Blog entry
    Simesy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nurden
    Posts
    26,955
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    My Social Networking

    Follow Simesy On Twitter Add Simesy on Google+
    It is traditionally given as 1891 (see here). From what you say, Graham, that should really say 1946 when we started as Leamington Borg & Beck.
    Member of the 47.8%er clan, an ting.

  5. #35
    Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Simesy View Post
    It is traditionally given as 1891 (see here). From what you say, Graham, that should really say 1946 when we started as Leamington Borg & Beck.
    I try to steer away from using Wikipedia although it does give some leads. My thirst is digging into archives, papers that type of material.

    If you look at the top right hand side of the page it shows 1871. I wondered why? Have i missed something? http://www.leamingtonfc.co.uk/index.php/club/history

    It all depends on what you are stating. If you want to tell people your history and promote your club as having a long and steadfast past as a business, you may be in a grey area regarding the selling of your club within the business community, misleading information etc. if you state that your club is the continuation of Senior football within the Leamington area then perhaps that is fine. It's all about interpretation really. Take a look at the Sheffield FC to See how they promote their club relating to longevity.

    It's been an interesting couple of days and thanks for all the information. We have a meeting every couple of months in Warwick and this topic will certainly be on the agenda.

  6. #36
    Executive Member Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    6,038
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyn View Post
    Very interesting contributions. The town's football history has been complicated. The original club was Leamington Rovers which was playing at Leam Terrace in 1878.
    Paul Vanes:-

    "Wyn,
    *regarding Leamington Rovers, they were the first club in the Spa Town to play in the Birmingham Senior Cup when they travelled to the Trapezium where they met Wednesbury Town*onSaturday 10th November 1877. When the Town's fifth goal went in, the Rovers players walked off the pitch, a common occurance in those days and the result stood at 5-0.*
    Leamington FC Supporters Trust, forward together

    http://www.brakestrust.com/


  7. #37
    Senior Member Achievements:
    VeteranBig Donator10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class


    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,488
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    As a local historian I became interested in this subject in relation to the shirt from Leamington Town that was owned by the club? I did a minute piece of research via our own library and in Coventry and it was very quick to establish that Leamington Town ceased trading in 1937. It's a simple case of elimination. There is no link to Leamington Town other than the fact that Borg and Beck played on the same pitch some nine years later. To suggest that this surmounts to a tangible link between the clubs borders on ludicrous. May I also take this opportunity to speak to whoever run the history web page and explain why it states that Leamington FC's history began in 1871. This would make Leamington FC one of the oldest clubs in the world. Is this for real?
    Here's the background info on the shirt: Show Our Shirt to the Town. The Brakes Trust was successful in raising the funds for the shirt to be professionally preserved and framed (by a professional restorer based at St. John's Museum). The shirt was shown at the Pump Room Museum as port of the pre-Olympics sport in Leamington display, and now takes pride of place in the display of shirts at the Leamington FC club-house.
    c'mon you Brakes - no negative waves.
    Brakes Trust :: BrakesVideos.tk :: Ciderspace.co.uk :: the bright side :: free GiffGaff SIM with 5 Credit & cheap data plans
    (this post is my personal opinion and is not made on behalf of any organisation unless explicitly stated in the post or assumed by lurkers.)

  8. #38
    Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by oddball View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    As a local historian I became interested in this subject in relation to the shirt from Leamington Town that was owned by the club? I did a minute piece of research via our own library and in Coventry and it was very quick to establish that Leamington Town ceased trading in 1937. It's a simple case of elimination. There is no link to Leamington Town other than the fact that Borg and Beck played on the same pitch some nine years later. To suggest that this surmounts to a tangible link between the clubs borders on ludicrous. May I also take this opportunity to speak to whoever run the history web page and explain why it states that Leamington FC's history began in 1871. This would make Leamington FC one of the oldest clubs in the world. Is this for real?
    Here's the background info on the shirt: Show Our Shirt to the Town. The Brakes Trust was successful in raising the funds for the shirt to be professionally preserved and framed (by a professional restorer based at St. John's Museum). The shirt was shown at the Pump Room Museum as port of the pre-Olympics sport in Leamington display, and now takes pride of place in the display of shirts at the Leamington FC club-house.
    Very interesting and well done for helping preserve historical items of this nature. Just a point. The last paragraph states a 120 year old history. I cannot see this myself but I am open to persuasion!! A previous post has said that this clubs current history started in 1946 and until proven otherwise that is where it began.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive


    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Home of The Bard, Warwickshire
    Posts
    3,935
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    The last paragraph states a 120 year old history. I cannot see this myself but I am open to persuasion!! A previous post has said that this clubs current history started in 1946 and until proven otherwise that is where it began.
    Well, if that's the case, what was I reading the other day in Wyn's book about the 1912-13 Leamington Town season? It looked pretty authentic to me.

    I will wait for Paul Vanes' definitive history to be published and, as far as I am concerned, whichever year he selects as the start is the one I will take.

    There have clearly been an number of incarnations of Leamington's senior football club over the years, but each one forms part of the history whether there is a direct link between them or not.

  10. #40
    Platinum Member Achievements:
    VeteranBig DonatorOverdriveThree Friends50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster


    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In your shed
    Posts
    13,527
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    ? the two are both true David. Leamington Town played then but this Graham - justifiably - is saying they had nowt to do with the current teams history. Which is hard to argue though I tried

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •